View Single Post
Crystal 05:05 PM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
yes they can inspect when they come to visit my home. BUt if there child is in the front room area where we conduct all drop off and pick up, then why would a parent need to go into my back yard or bathroom.

If a parent demanded to inspect my home I would want a reason. Even though they have the right to do so, I would want to know why they felt they needed to.

I guess for me this is very different for perhaps most DCP, as my house, excluding my personal bedrooms is the entire daycare. YOu can see all of it from my foyer.

also this: 1) When inspecting the family child care home, the parent or authorized representatives shall be
respectful of the children's routines and programmed activities. This is another reason why parents stay at the foyer. I cant deny a parent acces to their child, but I can set rules that dictate that I do not want parents to pick up during nap time or after a certain time or etc. HOWEVER, we both know that if a parent did, I can not deny them access to their child if they are in my care.

Also, I wanted to add that it says a parent can inspect at any time during hours of operation and that is only true if they have a child in my care on that day. they can not come in on their child's unscheduled day and demand to inspect my home.
The point is they CAN and LEGALLY have the right to enter the facility and inspect ANY space where child care is typically provided. I understand you not necessarily wanting them to, but it is their right. You stated that you do not have to let them past your foyer, and that is not accurate.
I think that questioning why a parent might want to see the spaces where their child spends much of their time might make the parents question what you feel you need to hide (FTR-I know you aren't trying to hide anything, but I can see a parent being skeptical) Reasons a parent might want to (and SHOULD, imo) see spaces that their child has access to is to ensure they are always in a safe environment and to get a sense of what their child is doing throughout each day.

Certainly parents need to be respectful and considerate, such as not requesting to inspect during nap time, etc.

I just wanted to make sure that providers have the accurate info that is actually written in the regs and is also the first thing listed on the Parental Rights form (995A) that we have them sign at enrollment