View Single Post
preschoolteacher 09:59 AM 08-30-2013
Hi everyone!

I'm working with some other early childhood ed. teachers/providers to teach a community education course for parents on how to choose the right child care option for their family.

Many of the parents attending will be expecting or planning to start a family soon. The majority will be first-time parents.

I'm curious to see how far in advance family child care providers like parents to arrange care for newborns/young infants. How does this process work for you? Is it crazy for parents to try to line up care before the baby is born? Or is it smart to try to make plans as soon as possible? How do you charge parents in this situation to hold a spot?

Thanks for any help! Also--what would YOU tell parents who are brand new to the child care search? Anything I should make sure to include in the class?

We are going to cover different options--nanny, unlicensed provider, licensed family child care, chain daycare centers, independent daycare centers, and preschools. I'm making a map of our area/city with all of the centers and schools listed and organized by price ($ to $$$$) and rating/accreditation. I'm going to cover licensing requirements... red flags of things to watch out for... resources of places to go online/call to find child care referrals... and touch on issues like nutrition, discipline, etc.

One of my goals is to really educate parents on how group care works. I see on this forum that providers often have to work with parents to get them to understand this. I'd like to get some of that information across in this class!

Thanks!