View Single Post
monkeysmiles 09:46 PM 05-08-2012
Hi ! I'm new at this, but am a home care (unlicensed provider) in the state of Ohio. In August, 2011, I took on a family of three children. One full time and two school age children for before and after school. No contract (first mistake!) To shorten the story, last week, I provided care for all three at orally agreed upon amount. These parents have been late on payments numerous times, making various excuses. I did always end up being paid. I agrreed with mother on a Tuesday that I would continue wayching the school age children until school was out, but preferred younger children, but left the option open for them to keep the youngest in my care. All was fine, the youngest was to remain in my care and when school ends the two older children would go to "day camps." I told them that I would need the next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off. Days off were never an issue before. She agreed on the phone and I have text to back up. Friday comes, and they parents do not pay. I text, no response. I tell them that no pay =no care on Monday, Tuesday fine if paid, but no Monday . Again, no written contract just tired of excuses of late payments. I hear nothing. Finally, I tell them that I will care for their children on Tuesday, but like I said the Tuesday before, their termination date would be May8th because they did not pay. I tried to work with them, tried texting and received no response.
Finally, tonight, she texts back and said they were not planning on paying because of the "hardships I created and that they had to take the week off work this week to have childcare." The only days that would have been needed was Monday, and Thursday since Dad is off on Wednesday and Fridays. Are they still responsible for paying what they owed last week as I did watch and provide care??? They said they contacted a lawyer and was told to "ignore" my texts and due to hardships they weren't going to pay? Doesn't sound correct to me. I am not asking for future pay, just what they owe me for the last week of care I providing. The children were in my care! Do I have a case or is she just talking bs about hardship? I should be paid regardless, correct? Any opinions as to what to do next. Am I entitled to what is owed rightfully?