View Single Post
Texasjeepgirl 05:39 AM 07-22-2008
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I like the way you think. I am a parent not a caregiver. I suggested to my caregiver that she charge on monday mornings and if they didn't pay they didn't come. It would be hard to turn them away but you have to think of your own families too. If I were a caregiver this is the way I would do it because I couldn't afford to buy supplies if the parents didn't pay. I don't think that parents would mind a bit!
Being a 'softy' doesn't pay the bills in your own home.
At some point you have to put the 'BEING A SOFTY' portion of yourself aside...and acknowledge that you are running a professional business.

The 'less than $100 amount' is not worth pursueing in court...

I always tell my dear friend and fellow child care provider...
LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU....
Learn from it...and MOVE ON...
Don't continue to repeat these types of mistakes.

We are all professional care givers.
You can't expect a parent to treat you as a professional, unless you ACT like a professional.

Change your policies.
Type up a NEW PAYMENT POLICY..
Give your current parents a set time period to conform to your new payment policy....
If they are currently paying you behind....let them gradually 'flip over' by adding a small amount each week, until they are paying ahead.

I am THE ONLY PROVIDER in my town that charges a 2 week deposit upon enrollment.
When I implemented this policy 7 years ago, every other provider in this town told me I'd ruin my daycare business by expecting parents to pay a 2 week deposit.
Yet....here I am....full daycare..and a waiting list.

I've had many, many parents tell me that they appreciate the PROFESSIONAL manner in which I run my business.

Payment is due on FRIDAY, in ADVANCE of the following week.
2 week deposit due upon enrollment. ( I do allow parent's to make financial arrangements to 'pay out' the deposit )
If they decide to withdraw from care...they give 2 week notice and final 2 weeks are paid.
I have had people walk off and leave the deposit..
Their loss.
I also recently had a parent give 2 week notice...and then ask what would happen if they chose to stop coming before the 2 weeks was up.
In other words...she wanted a refund for a portion of the 2 weeks...
NO.
This is why I require a 2 week deposit...to prevent people from walking off without giving proper notice..

How many of you providers out there have ever actually had a parent give PROPER NOTICE of withdrawel...and then actually attend...and pay...
HA...
In the beginning, EVERYONE has good intentions...
It's in the end that they will leave you owing a balance...and without proper 2 week notice...

I make several things VERY clear in the beginning.
Payment is due, or you do not have child care services.
This is NOT NEGOTIABLE.
Also....my closing time is NOT NEGOTIABLE.