View Single Post
Thriftylady 10:44 AM 03-13-2016
Well first off, don't consider price so much. It really doesn't play a part. I have seen a lot of parents go with cheap care (Legal to be unlicensed here and I am, but many SAHM's do it dirt cheap). SOME (not all) cheap providers are not doing much with the kids at all and are parking them in front of the TV. SOME expensive providers do the same thing!

Secondly do they both offer plenty of free play? It is important! Many parents want more preschool, but studies show less "school" and more play is better. Children do learn through play.

Did you take your child to the interviews? How did the child and provider interact? Did one seem to connect with your child better than another? How did you connect with each provider? Does one have policies you can more live with than another?

As far as burn out, that can happen to anyone. In most cases, a back up is on the parent. Having a substitute is hard! A sub must meet licensing standards, we may have to pay for their classes to do so, and many times pay them more per hour than we make after expenses! All that being said, choose one that does take some time off. Does either have a trial period? That way if something doesn't work out you can leave without owing two weeks notice? Sure we don't like to think something won't work out and we will have to change so soon, but things happen. Perhaps the child doesn't fit in well with the rest of the group, or even perhaps the child and provider don't mesh well. That's nobody's fault but it sometimes happens.

ETA: Choose a program with outside play! I think it is very important to get outside, and the kids LOVE it!