View Single Post
Unregistered 10:43 AM 10-30-2009
"PLease help me understand the logic in this, especailly when you are a responsilble parent and keep your kid out of daycare while he is feverish--again why am I paying for this? Help me want to keep my sick kid out of your daycare and not just have me give him a fever reducer right before I drop him off and then once the medicine wears off after 6 hours I get a call from the provider that he's sick and to come get him---at least I got my six hours--I feel like this is a tug of war and we have to meet somewhere in the middle."

This is why I, as a provider, have a half-rate policy for sick days. On days that a child is kept home because of sickness, I only charge half their regular rate. This way I don't go completely broke, but it gives a bit of an incentive to the parent to keep their child from infecting all of the other kids. I haven't had any long-term sickness-related absences yet, so I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. But I definitely would not want to penalize the good parents that do keep their kids home when they're sick.