View Single Post
bunnyslippers 05:23 AM 01-25-2012
I am sorry you are feeling this way! I, too, have been feeling a bit frustrated lately. I also understand that while you may need a career change, it might not be possible for you right now.

I think you just need to try and keep positive...which I know can be difficult. Also, maybe try a few new techniques.

Parents taking advantage - I hear that one loud and clear. Could you change your policy to contracted hours vs. all day from open-close? Or maybe look at shaving off a half hour on either end? I used to open at 6:45, and now open at 7:30. That 45 minutes made a huge difference in my mornings. Try looking at what hours you know the parents are at work, and see if there is a way to tweek the schedule.

Running was a problem here, too. When the running starts, could you have them all try dancing? They probably just need to move...if you structure it by calling it dance time, then maybe you will feel better about the craziness and they would get the movement they need to then calm back down.

Taking toys from babies is an easy fix. Try making specific toys "baby toys" and putting them in a separate big kid-free zone.

Destruction of property and toys is a huge annoyance, and can get expensive. Anything outside of normal wear and tear and you could try asking the parents to replace it. I also once took away almost all of our toys after a particularly destructive day, and the kids needed to earn them back with respectful behavior.

Do not tolerate disrespect. If children are rude, enforce a consequence. I think it is part of our job to teach them to be respectful of all adults and all children. The same goes for hurting one another - never allowed, with an immediate consequence.

Babies can be draining! Try setting up a rotating system with your helper, so you both can tap out when it gets to be too much.

I had a particularly tough group one year. To keep myself sane and organized, I literally would sit down each morning and come up with a "schedule for the day broken into 15 minute intervals with whatever choice would be available at that time. It was labor intensive, but gave me a sense of control and structure.

Hang in there! I feel your pain - I really do!