Thread: Pre K
View Single Post
prioritizepre-k 11:16 AM 01-15-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
as of now, the children who qualify for "free" preschool ARE enrolled based on economic need. ask anyone who has ever tried to get their child into preschool and were told they make too much money. at least that's generally the case.

i don't doubt there are some private preschools that are owned by qualified people, but as we were talking about - only the people who have the $$ typically have the access to those preschools. the other children have access to preschools supplied to them in a list based on who accepts child care subsidies. as usual, it is the middle class and their children who get screwed on the deal.
That is not true in all states. In my state, enrollment is NOT based on economic need. The program is not universal and those most in need CAN AND ARE being shut out of programs.

Re the middle class - we all need to make choices in our life. We choose to have children, we choose to spend our money in many ways, big cars, big homes, vacations, pedicures, manicure, movies etc. The middle class does not get screwed. They make choices. Our government should not be creating middle class entitlement programs. They should be supporting families who, due to various circumstances, find themselves without choice because they are struggling just to put food on the table. Middle class people need to prioritize and ask themselves - do I get pedicures, drive a big gas guzzling suv, go on vacations or provide preschool to my child.

That is the reality of what is happening in my area. Those that can well afford to pay for preschool are getting into programs while others are shut out. Many are going to the gym, getting pedicures, shopping etc while their children are attending these programs that you and I are paying for. At what point does government entitlement end and personal responsibility begin?

Districts can't even afford to maintain their K-12 programs - we shouldn't be putting more of a burden on them by expanding their responsibilities. We should be helping them to maintain what they have.