View Single Post
Nellie 03:29 PM 12-11-2011
If your under 2 rate is a lot higher than the average going rate for under 2 perhaps lower it a little to be in the same ball park if you are really wanting to try to get one or two littler ones. I charge a little higher than the going rate for infants because I find them to be a lot of work. I have to spend much more time preparing in the evening when I have an infant to hold most of the day. I charge a little less once they are one because they start to not need me as much. I still charge more for a one year old than a two because they in WI they account for 2 spots of the 2+ group.
I think a 2 week deposit is great. So many get burnt when families leave. Unfortunately it is unheard of in my neck of the area. Perhaps you could do a one week deposit and offer a payment plan of X amount extra per so many weeks until the second week is paid up if they can't afford to put down so much at one time.
I also think it is important to be comfortable with what you are charging. If you don't feel comfortable working with out a two week deposit-- don't change your policy. Don't lower your rates just to get kids in the door to later feel taken.
I am hoping that right now is just a slow time. I found out a month ago that I would have one of my kids leaving in January and I have only gotten one email since I have been advertising. It does help once you have kids in the door and you have word of mouth. It sucks when you are just starting out, because parents want there child to have playmates. Don't give up. Have you tried calling the school district you live in. One of my DCK's grandmother told me to give the secretary at the school my name and number. She was a teacher in the district. She said that families that are new to the area call the school all the time wondering if they know of any daycares in the area. I never did it, but her daughter in law did daycare for a time period and that is how she got most of her clients.