View Single Post
Laurel 05:47 PM 08-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, the first few years I did child care I had a house payment too but it was really cheap....

My DH and I also have ZERO debt. We own our vehicles and have no credit cards. Our only expenses are living expenses such as utilities, food and clothing, etc.

A little back story...

My DH and I bought 40 acres of property in 1990 for $15,000 (privately...no mortgage or bank pymts) We owned a mobile home and moved that mobile home onto the property.

In 2006, we took out a home equity loan against the property for $35,000. We used that money to build our home.

My DH is a contractor/wood worker so we didn't have to hire anyone to build the house. My DH is very skilled in not only wood working but plumbing and electrical work too (oh, and mechanics...LOL!). The loan we took out to build the house was a 60 month loan. In 2011, we made our last home equity loan payment and the house and land became ours free and clear with no lien holders and no money owed to anyone.

Since we never had a traditional mortgage, we were able to take out a mortgage on the child care house. In 1992, we purchased the daycare house (2 bedroom, 1 bath on 2 LARGE city lots) for $39,000.

So yes ALOT of things and situations enabled us to be in the position we are in and I am grateful for that. Had we not been able to do things this way, I would never have quit my job at Head Start and gave up the job security and benefits.

After 3 years of running the child care in the black, my DH was able to quit his job (He was a union worker for a road construction and paving company) and become self-employed himself.

Neither of us could ever imagine going to work for someone else ever again.
Well that sounds great. I wish my husband was handy. He is good with electronics and cars but other than that, we just hire someone.

Sometimes I can imagine working for someone else. Before this job, I worked in a Montessori school that I loved. Then we moved out of state but I loved that job. I also love this one or have for years. I am getting to where I'd like to semi retire so I just took less children. That is the good part about our job. We can up or downsize whenever we'd like.

Laurel

P.S. I'd never want to do 10 children although you do have help at the hardest times. Well lunch/nap is the most hectic time to me anyway.