Thread: What is Fair?
View Single Post
cheerfuldom 12:34 PM 02-21-2014
This is why it is essential to have a dedicated daycare space. I personally would not allow my children to attend a home daycare where there was not separate daycare areas because I understand the dilemmas for provider and their children when daycare kids enter the home and have access to the whole home and all the toys that belong to the providers children. The exception to this rule was if it was a nanny type situation where the provider doesn't need a separate space and has fewer kids to negotiate these scenarios.

For me, I feed my kids preferably when the daycare kids leave however, they do sometimes eat dinner during daycare hours. I have never had a parent comment that this bothered them, although it might. If my kids are eating, I will offer the daycare kids a small snack (like a handful of cheerios so as not to spoil their dinner) only if the daycare kids are upset that others are eating. 99% of the time they do not notice or care.

For the bike situation, we would all go outside together. i have my kids bikes and I have other bikes for my daycare kids. Everyone has something to ride and I do not force my kids to share their personal items. The daycare kids have something to use so again, I think that is a fair compromise.

For the popsicle situation, I would have my kid go somewhere private to eat their treat where the daycare kids did not see although I generally try to avoid that situation all together.

I do think that if parents are using a home daycare, they have to remember and respect that this is a home and a business. There will be areas of the house that their kids cannot go and items that their kids do not have access to and things in the fridge that their kid can't eat. I don't promise that I will love these kids like my own nor do I promise that all the kids will be treated the exact same way. I do strive to be fair, but the kids here are not equal. My kids ARE special to me because they are mine. And I am not going to act like they are just like the daycare kids during daycare hours because they are still special to me no matter what time of day it is. They may get a little special treatment here and there but I do my best for it to be done in a way that is not obvious or hurtful to the daycare families. I keep that mantra "Fair does not mean everything is equal" even with my own four kids. They won't all get the exact same bike, the exact same treat, the exact same meal all the time. I personally have issue with parents and providers that try to make things equal. This sets up a scenario that can never be replicated in the real world.