View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I think you should definately increase her rate to the rates of the other families. Just because she seems to have forgotten about your "special price deal". Remember what Nanny says,... its really only a special price to YOU, to her its your rate.

you cant charge her more because of special needs, that is against ada rules.

Q. Can child care providers charge more for tuition for children with disabilities?

A. Under the ADA, child care providers cannot charge the family of a child with disabilities for the total costs of having to comply with the ADA. Costs must be spread out to all the families enrolled, or taken as a tax credit or tax deduction. However, there are some exceptions. It appears that families may be charged for measures which exceed compliance with the ADA, or when a child care provider would not be required to make an accommodation or remove an architectural barrier because it would pose a financial or administrative hardship.

Q. What if our child care center refuses to admit my child because they say they can't afford to make the accommodations necessary to meet my child's needs?

A. If you are not satisfied that your child was given a fair consideration, or that it would not in fact be an undue burden for the child care provider, you may file a complaint with the Department of Justice. It will investigate your case and can impose fines of up to $50,000 for a first violation. You can also file a private suit. Private plaintiffs cannot receive money damages, but can receive injunctive relief such as a court order requiring the day care center to make the necessary accommodations and attorney's fees.

Q: Which child care centers are covered by title III?

A: Almost all child care providers, regardless of size or number of employees, must comply with title III of the ADA. Even small, home-based centers that may not have to follow some State laws are covered by title III.

Weird. My county social services dept. sent me papers to request a higher rate of pay because of the disability of a child in my care. I wonder what the exact laws are about this.

Many providers in my area charge according to the level of care a child requires, ie. needs special diet, needs transportation, needs "special" outside of normal services they offer. Not necessarily a "special" need as defined by the ADA but "special" none the less.