View Single Post
Daycarelady1979 12:53 PM 01-02-2013
Well, as far as I know, the deal is that the economy is horrible in my little town. We used to have a giant air park here (DHL) with thousands of employees, but they shut it down a couple years ago & the whole town went to crap. There are no jobs. Seriously, it's bad here...the murder rate has gone up & the drugs are out of control. It wasn't anything like this when we bought our home 9 years ago Our town has been on the show 60 Minutes twice & a few celebrities have come here trying to help out the economy & such.

My rates are just whatever job & family services told me I could charge...most of the clients I'm getting these days get childcare assistance through the county. I haven't had any private pay calls or interviews in a long time. The one private pay child that I do have is leaving the daycare next week.

One of my daycare moms goes to nursing school & works at McDonald's.
Another mom works at the Dollar Store 15 hours a week.
The mom I interviewed today doesn't work at all, but she is going back to school part time.

Trust me, I thank God every single day that my husband & I even have jobs...he got moved to 3rd shift & we absolutely hate it, it's creating a lot of problems for our family, but we are BLESSED to have a paycheck at all!

I'm not really sure what to do. I used to have 7 full time kids, all private pay, and all 1st shift. It was AMAZING. I just miss the old days I guess...