View Single Post
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:57 PM 05-24-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I haven't been on for a few days, but got an e-mail from Michael saying the hot topic was termination gone wrong, so I checked it out. Oh, this is great! I, too, needed a good laugh. I'm sorry you had to mess with this dcm, I don't think you did anything wrong (although responding to her e-mail wouldn't do any good. When someone is mad and say things that are just not true, responding to them doesn't change their mind and make them think, "oh she's right. I was wrong. I need to apologize to provider". But I'm sure you know that). and I know I myself would have probably done the same thing and tried to "defend" myself, knowing I didn't do anything wrong.
When I first saw that bag of pennies, I thought you were kidding, but when I realized you were serious, I burst out laughing (earning a few strange looks lol). I had to share this post with my family!
I've been thinking more about this. Now I'm thinking that you probably did do the right thing in responding, because you were very tactful about it (as someone else mentioned) and sweet. It's good that you explained yourself for the whole paper trail purposes and also because you stood up for yourself very well. We can't let people walk all over us. If we don't stand up for ourselves, people won't respect us as much, and will continue to walk on us. She mentioned that it was cowardly to e-mail her instead of calling, but actually, I think it was cowardly on HER part not to call you to get it all straightend out, if she thought a phone conversation necessary. And it was cowardly to leave the money on your front step instead of facing you. With the pennies, she only hurt herself with that. She had to make the extra trip to the bank to exchange bills into pennies instead of simply writing a check. You would have had to go into the bank anyway to deposit the check, so it's no extra steps for you to just deposit pennies instead. Except for having to count it.... Do you have any children who are old enough to help count? It'd be good practice for them, even if you had to double check them later. Or a lesson of less, more, and the same. Show them $30 in bills, then show them the bag of pennies and explain that it's the same amount. Or just do like someone else mentioned and go to a coin sorter and bring some children with you to watch it.