View Single Post
Familycare71 05:41 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OMG MELSKIDS!! That is what I was talking about! That is pretty much EXACTLY what we have been doing here but I was busy trying to squeeze in the boxed curriculum too and it wasn't working out very well...I felt "unfulfilled" as a provider and felt the kids weren't getting 100% of anything.

Your day is what we have been doing since we turned the TV off FOR GOOD in December and I am finding that after years of trying to get it all in, I have had more calm, loving, real, quality fullfilling moments in the last few weeks than I have had in all the last 16 years put together!!

So by all means stay on your soapbox because I think you are right! I have been looking for exactly that approach and have waivered back and forth between reading threads about FCC's that are offering 'high quality preschool classrooms for all ages' and FCC's that are doing it like Nan, which I am finding I am closer and closer to all the time.

I also struggle with the fact that I am 12 credits shy of graduating with my Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education and I have to say I am having alot of internal conflict about some of the things they are teaching now days. I agree whole heartedly with the knowledge I have gained about cognitive and physical development...it is some of the methods they are teaching in other areas that I am having issues with. Like the whole necessity of a full 'school' curriculum for toddler's and pre-schoolers.....(this is kind of like the thread that got heated a while back about the actual long term benefits of schooling the under 5's group.)

I guess when I look back on what things my children got or didn't get when they were daycare age....I am most proud of them as adults now that they are both respectful, dependable, honest and productive human beings who have wonderful manners. I vaguely remember when they learned to write the whole alphabet or who learned algebra first. I have no idea if they know the periodic table of elements and I doubt either of them can name all 44 presidents. But I do know the self-help/life skills that alot of this new generation of people are missing, were taught to my kids.

Wow, this thread has been like a therapy session for me! Thanks ladies...I needed that!!
I am right there with you blackcat!!!
I feel like I'm trying to do it all but there just isn't enough time- I have done boxed curriculums- but my heart isn't in it... I want to play with and nurture the kids- not treat them like they are kindergartners! I want to teach in the moment when the opportunity is there.
Yesterday we played with play dough. And my 3 dcb used scissors to cut hair- he worked so hard and was so proud- and I loved every second! So much better than cutting out a square for a worksheet-
I felt like I had to do "pre-school" but parents don't see it as pre school anyway because I have a small group. They see pre school as a teacher with students in a desk. I don't want that- so if that's what they want- let them take them there...
I will focus on being a great human being- and when they are kind to someone who needs it or act accountable for something they did- that is where I will find my pride in my work. Not when they count to 100-
This has been a great thread for me too! Thank you