View Single Post
professionalmom 01:58 PM 08-05-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Judy...how old are your own children that you homeschool? And, if you don't mind sharing, what type of "curriculum" do you use with them?

I have been disgusted with the public school system for years.....it's a broken mess. I had thought that Canada was ahead of the curve with schooling...I'd love to see a system where it is really "right".
I'm very curious too. Once we get done with our move, I will be investigating the different curriculums out there so I can prepare to home school our girls when the time comes (approx. 3 more years). I have been interested in it for 15 years (I started preparing for motherhood and researching since my early adult years).

ITA that our current school system is pushing WAY too hard at a dangerously early age. My cousin's son was in kindy or 1st this past year and as part of their "curriculum", they were learning about the Holocaust!! At ages 5 and 6! That's when I said, "Heck, no. Over my dead body will I allow my child to learn about THAT at that young of an age." Sorry, but I refuse to purposefully cause my child nightmares.

Isn't it strange that we spent most of our childhood wanting to be grown-ups, but spend most of our adult years yearning for the carefree time of childhood? Then we are supposed to rush our children through their fun, carefree childhood and get them into academic ASAP? Let's give them a chance to be kids for a little while. It'll be gone far too soon.

What would really shock me was when parents of a baby or toddler would ask me what type of curriculum I offer in my daycare! How about sitting, crawling, walking, talking, etc.? Does that count as "curriculum"?