View Single Post
daycarediva 09:02 AM 09-28-2015
Dcb came in today. I got a drs note from dcm- BED BUG BITES. I just stared at the note. Dcm is nonchalantly telling me it MUST be from dcd's house as dcb doesn't get bites at her house. Honestly, if dcd has bed bugs, and dcb is bringing his backpack back and forth--- you have them too dcm! She went to put his blanket in his cubby and I grabbed it out and looked it over- it has dark brown spots on it (and from my internet research, this is bed bug feces). I grab his backpack, unzip it and THERE IS A LIVE BEDBUG IN THE SEAM! I was SO GROSSED OUT I termed on the spot. Dh tore apart everyone elses things as he overheard the conversation and immediately came into the room to start looking, no sign of bugs anywhere else. Dcb's cubby is directly next to the other kids. They are open top but the bedding doesn't touch.

Dh removed the area rugs from my daycare room to inspect and steam clean them, and he is going through all of the bedrooms (all of our kids bedrooms are adjacent to my daycare space).

He also called a pest control company to come out and inspect the house. The guy was NOT AT ALL helpful in alleviating our fears- he said they would leave the cubby and enter any crack or crevice to hide and they can live for a YEAR without eating. *scratching like crazy*

None of the other kids have bites- I do not, dh does not. Dd has a few on her hand that she believes she got from her vet tech program (she has been giving flea baths and grooming dogs from shelters soo....)

Dcparents know something is up- dcm posted on my facebook page that I over reacted and am unprofessional to turn her child away and to leave them high and dry with no notice whatsoever. I left the post up and commented that I considered my reaction appropriate for the situation and that I was protecting the health and well being of all children in care, and my family.

Dcb was supposed to take a ft space available in a couple of weeks. If the inspector finds them anywhere in the house, we have to prep items, close immediately, vacate the premises and he has to do a heat treatment that will cost over $1,000. I am SURE I will lose other clients- and possibly my good reputation as well.

I gave my registrar a heads up- she said not to say anything to other parents until we get news from the pest control company. She is also contacting CPS about dcb- it's been ongoing all summer and dcm is aware now and is taking no steps to stop it.

Kinda freaking out right now!