Thread: Lingering DCD
View Single Post
lvt77 10:33 AM 02-03-2011
I sent this to a DCD who did the same thing. I then talked to him about it, how it also affects the other kids as well, becuase all of the kids act crazy when someone else is in the house. I tell them that I don't mind a visit every now and then, but you have to realize the meesage that you are sending to the child by sticking around. Which is that you are giving him false hope that you are staying with him by sticking around that long. They need to develop a routine and stick to it. No more than 5 minutes..

It is normal for some children to have difficulty separating from parents in the morning or not wanting to leave when it's time to go home. Please be very brief (no more than 5 minutes is sufficient) during these transition times. The longer you prolong the departure the harder it gets, and provider will need to focus on the other children in care. A smile, cheerful good-bye kiss, and a reassuring word that you will be back are all that is needed in the morning. In years of experience, children are nearly always quick to get involved in play or activities as soon as parents are gone. This is also a time of testing when two different authority figures are present (the parent and the provider). All the children will test to see if the rules still apply. During arrivals and departures, parents must back the rules of the daycare (see House Rules). If you do not, provider will remind the child that their behavior is inappropriate and take action to correct, if needed. So please be in control of your child during drop off and pick up times. Please help show your child that you respect the rules of the daycare, as well as the provider by reminding them that the rules still apply whether you are here or not.
At drop off, your child is expected to arrive clean, fully clothed and fed (unless arriving before meal time) do not leave until you have signed your child in, your child’s shoes have been removed and you have updated provider on any pertinent information – how your child slept, if there are any concerns or updates, and etc.