View Single Post
Mike 03:24 PM 08-13-2018
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Not enough. You have to find the solution to providing appropriate care for a child with a disability. So, if the experts tell you can provide care with some training and help from the parents/outside resources, you have to provide the care. If the experts tell you that another adult needs to be present to provide the appropriate care, then you need to find out if there are any volunteers who can help. If so, you must provide the care. If not, then you need to find out how much it would cost to hire the extra adult. If the cost is "significant" you don't have to provide the care. What is "significant" is subject to interpretation, but I think that a few hundreds dollars a week would be significant. Then, you can tell the parent that the solution would cost you a significant amount of money and you can't provider the care. Only by going through this process would you be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Just saying "I don't have the staff" is not enough.
I'm very curious.
Does a trial period give a provider a way out? Contract says: "2 week trial period, during which, the parent or provider can cancel at any time"
Would ADA say that's not allowed?

Doesn't matter to me since I'm in Canada and even considering going the route of special needs care, but I'm sure many US providers would be curious about that.