View Single Post
nannyde 06:09 AM 05-03-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
Here is my Potty Training paragraph in my handbook:

Potty Training

When you feel your child is ready for potty training, please let me know so we may work together on this.

Too vauge and allows the parent to be in control. Do not let them tell you when the child is ready. Tell them to keep you updated on their routine at home.

Please initiate the training at home before asking me to start it at childcare.

Too vauge again. Tell them you will let them know when the child is showing interest in potty training.

When your child can verbally tell me they have to go potty, I will begin the potty training process here.

Just add the word "before" in that. The child must tell you they have to go BEFORE they have to go.

Please remember that the activity level here can distract your child from realizing they need to use the potty, more so than at your home.

Good

Extra outfits, including socks, will be needed during the training period.

This sends the message that accidents are okay. I would not put this in there. If you make sure the kid is accident free for two weeks consequtively BEFORE you put in underwear you shouldn't need the extra clothes. If he has any accidents during this time the clock starts over. Just tell them you will keep them posted as to when day one starts. If you want to ask for extra clothes let them know it will be when he is two weeks accident free and you ask for him to be sent in undies.

Please, PULL UPS ONLY, NO CLOTH TRAINING PANTS. During the potty training process please dress your children in clothes that make it easy for them to go use the potty. When your child has gone potty with no accidents for a period of 2 weeks, cloth panties can then be used at daycare. During these 2 weeks, the child must verbally tell me each time they need to potty, or just go on their own.

Just add that " When your child has told me BEFORE he has to go potty and gone potty with no accidents for a period of 2 weeks.
From your description the child hasn't even met the first marker which is to tell you he has to go before he has to go and/or to pee on the potty when you place him on it. I start with just putting them on the pot during diaper changes. Once they start peeing consistently in the pot then I work towards them telling me they have to go before.