View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 07:23 AM 05-03-2010
Originally Posted by mamajennleigh:
I would have no problem telling a parent, "Listen, I am seeing no signs that this child is ready to transition completely to cloth pants. Until I see those signs, I am not taking chances with my carpet and my furniture. When potty training, there are signs we look for that alert us that a child is ready to take the first step in training. I have asked him repeatedly if he needs to go pee and he does not respond. I have put him on the potty several times today and he did not make use of the toilet ONCE, but he did soil his pants. In my experience, these are signs that he is not ready. I do not mind helping you introduce the potty to him (taking him several times a day and allowing him to sit until he gets the idea) but, as per our agreement, I am going to ask that you re-read my policy on potty training. Once your son shows signs of readiness and has made some progress at home, we can begin here as well. It's not fair to the other children as well as my family, to have to sit on furniture that has been urinated or defecated on, especially when it's completely avoidable."
I like how this is worded and it all sounds great and everything and I would tell them like this also but we all know that we have those parents that think that they know what's good not only for their kids but for us as well and don't always agree with our methods. I say putting pull ups OVER the pants and undies is a great idea. I used it on my own daughter because (I have to just face it) she was just plain lazy. She was 3 and had been doing so well and had already been 1 month without an accident and then decided that it was easier for her to just go in her pants than to stop playing and go in the potty. I put undies, pants/shorts and then I put the pull-ups OVER her clothes and even took her out in public. She didn't like that very much because she was bulky even before she wet or soiled herself and the feeling of cloth on your butt is way different than having a diaper or pull-up directly on your bottom to absorb everything. It's more uncomfortable. So I say if mom doesn't get that her kid isn't ready and wants him wearing "big boy" pants and undies then throw the pull-up over his clothes.