View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 02:15 PM 10-25-2012
I do have one that goes with a behavior and discipline policy that I use as a guideline. When I am faced with behavior challenges I go on a case by case basis instead of a "three counts you're out" policy because some things may be more severe than others and may need immediate termination and others may be less severe or might have immediate improvement. One child might bite another child and not leave a mark and another might break the skin KWIM.

But here's what I have and maybe you'll get some ideas and think of something that works better for you. Sorry it's long but I'm very detailed ... and this is the shorter version lol. I didn't copy all of the parts that talk about verbal and physical altercations lol. I added the intro so you could get a better feel of where I'm coming from. From my handbook:

There are three principals that the daycare rules are based on:

You may not hurt yourself
You may not hurt others
You may not hurt things

Behavior Policy
It is [our] policy to encourage positive behavior. Any unacceptable behavior will be dealt with only after considering the child's age, stage of development and level of understanding. The children will be allowed time to practice obeying new rules before guiding them. We realize that young children have limited memories and may not recall a new rule without plenty of practice.

Guidance (Discipline)
Children are never punished for lapses in toilet training or for accidents such as spilled drinks or food for example. Please keep in mind that there will be disagreements between children. Young children who are not adept at communication have a hard time expressing their feelings. Sometimes they hit, pinch or throw toys etc. This is normal behavior in most cases, however this is still unacceptable behavior in group care and we strive to teach the children about appropriate behavior.

To guide a child we will implement developmentally appropriate techniques such as positive reinforcement, forestalling, redirection, active listening, and calm-down time. We like to use strategies to engage children in their own problem solving.

If a negative behavior becomes a consistent problem, the client will be notified of the situation. If a child remains unruly, the client will be called to remove the child for the remainder of the day. Please keep in mind there is more than one child to care for and if all energy is spent on any one child that misbehaves or acts difficult, the provider would not be able to give the kind of care that the other children require.

If inappropriate behavior or something of a more serious nature occurs that is a threat to the safety of the child or other children, these matters will be discussed with the client of the offending child so that a plan of action can be made. If the problem cannot be resolved within a reasonable amount of time then arrangements may need to be made for the child to receive care elsewhere.
Biting
Biting causes more upset feelings than any other behavior in child care programs. It is important for the provider and parents to address this behavior when it occurs. Children may bite for many different reasons therefore a child that has shown the desire to bite will be watched carefully to try and determine any “triggers”.

When a child bites (or intends to bite) another child the daycare provider will quickly but calmly intervene. The childcare provider will briefly talk to the offending child about how biting is not acceptable. For a child with limited language the child will simply told “No bite”.

The provider will then point out how the biter’s behavior affected the other child. “You hurt him and he’s crying.” The bitten child will be encouraged to tell the biter how he/she feels and will be comforted. If the skin is broken, the wound will be washed with mild soap and water, bandaged and then an ice pack will be applied to prevent swelling. The biter will be encouraged to help the other child by getting the ice pack, etc.

The parents of both the bitten child and the child who bit will be called and notified. The provider will tell what happened but will not name or label the child who bit.

A plan of action will be made with the parents of the child that bit on how to prevent and handle future biting. If biting continues a meeting with the parents of the child who is biting will be made to plan a more concentrated plan of action. The child who bit will be closely “shadowed”.

When the child bites, the child will be removed from the area or activity where the biting took place and the child will be redirected to another activity. If a child still continues to bite or does not seem to mind the consequences, the parent will be recommended of the possibility that the child may need an environment with fewer children or one with more one-on-one adult attention.