View Single Post
nannyde 11:50 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
Nannyde, I am very interested in your techniques. I have a VERY low tolerance for physical contact among my own kids and my dc kids. Even a pat on the back can get out of control quite quickly. However, many times I haven't been able to predict a random outburst of hitting. Up until I read what you said earlier in this thread, I have been operating under the assumption that hitting, biting, etc. is normal (even though it's unacceptable and I deal with it as promptly as possible). My working theory has been that some children (not all) need to experience consequences before understanding what's right and wrong in the first place. And of course, the only way they can experience consequences is by breaking the rules. I hadn't considered the idea that the aggression isn't a necessary evil of childhood.

How do you prevent it, especially among children so young? How exactly do you avoid the inevitable toddler outburst? If a child comes to you over the age of one, how do you teach them your rules without them testing them?
Dbug

You are welcome to call me. I do some coaching for providers during nap or evenings. If you message me your number I could set up a time to call you. I have free long distance.

Just let me know if I can help.