View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 06-06-2012
Originally Posted by pootmcgoot:
I read online yesterday something about high needs infants and day cares...a comment on an article I believe. It was along the lines of...after you have a baby and you know you will be going back to work, parent he infant in a way that will make the transition to daycare easier. Tips given were stuff like, don't hold baby every time he cries, find a soother other than mom/breast, if breast fed make sure bottle feeding is as natural as breastfeeding, don't co sleep, don't nurse to sleep etc.

Are these viable tips? I could see the benefit to the dcp and dck but I can also see how it could inhibit the parent bond. Then again when your infant is in daycare 12-13 hours a day, 5 days a week...60+hours a week total, you'd think parents would work with you since you spend a ton of time with the infant right?
Yes, these are absolutely viable tips. Yeah, it probably does mess with the bond a parent has with a child but you can't have it both ways.

You can't parent one way and have the child cared for by a provider who does things differently (due to necessity because of "group care"). It just doesn't work.

All great reasons to work WITH the provider and vice versa. It is soooooo important to have parents in your care that work with you and not against you. It is only in the best interest of the child.

For example, I don't wear babies. I know some providers do, but I do not so a parent coming into my care will know that their child will not be worn so we would have to work together to form a routine so that the child has consistency which is so important in my opinion for healthy well adjusted kids.

Everyone does things differently so it is really important that BOTH providers and parents need to find a child care situation that is a good fit for them. Benefits everyone in the long run.