View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
You should not have posted this confidential information on a public forum. You had better hope that the parents do not come across this site.....and YES, it has happened here before.

Calling CPS was the right thing to do.

BUT, LYING about who called (and if I was the consultant I would be LIVID with you for blaming her...these "white trash" people as you refer to them just might retaliate) was ABSOLUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, WRONG!!!

You lied so as not to lose a paying client. If the roles were reversed and the parent was lying to you, you certainly would not appreciate it.

Shame on you.
Crystal......I agree with what you said but seriously, say what you mean but don't say it mean.

Originally Posted by jen:
Geesh, Was this really necessary?

OP, cleary you are under a lot of stress and were unprepared for this experience. You didn't use the family's name, but you were perhaps a bit specific. Personally, I don't feel that you are under any obligation to tell the parent that you reported. If (and hopefully you never will be) in this situation again, you will be better prepared.

Honestly, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You did the best you knew how to do in the moment and stepped up for a child.
We can only do what we are trained to do and in light of the posts we see here, there is hardly evidence of any type of good quality training in regards to mandated reporting going on in any area... I am surprised by some of the conversations/posts/threads we have had on this forum in that regard.

Definitely shows the lack of training and knowledge each state provides for it's child care providers...

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I just mean that I think we take calling CPS very lightly here. This is the second time in as many weeks that I have heard calling over diaper rash in as many weeks.

A doctor is a mandated reporter too, if you required that the child be looked at.
My son got a blue tinged bum from those blue jean pampers once. But bruising around the privates would indeed be reason to call. My apologies.

Perhaps it was the right thing to do. I don't know this family. I just think that asking a few questions is merited before turn this families life upside down. If they are innocent and it was just a yeast rash then this family will be put through he'll for no reason. Yes, it might be abuse I don't know.

And I don't know the American system. I know here in Canada CAS is paid based on families in care so it is in their best interest to make it hard for families to exit their grasp once in it, even if they are innocent of the charges.
Anne~ Good point! Requiring the child to see a doctor could have been one option.

I know in my state we are required to give enrolling parents written notice telling them that if we suspect ANY type of abuse or neglect, that we are mandated by law to report it.

The notice gives the names and numbers of who we will call and also tells the parents to call if they suspect us (the provider) of anything similar.

We and the parent are required to sign and date it, give one copy to the parent and keep the other in the child's file.