Thread: Book Choice
View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is joyfulnoise but I can't remember my password! Anyway Ive been taking my school age kids to the library once a week to choose library books to read at my house. However, I have one 9 year old who can't find a single book that I find appropriate for him to read at my house. I realize that I am more conservative with what I allow my kids to read than some parents, but I've made a conscious effort to loosen the reins where he is concerned but we still can't find a compromise. He chooses books like the Walking Dead, Naruto (which I found sketches of scantily clad women sitting in a circle with men drooling over them in the book), & any graphic novels he can find that have bloody pictures or violence. I've suggested the Bad Guys series, Captain Underpants, DogMan, & the like. But they don't hold his interest. He is looking for the thrill of a violent encounter which I'm just not ok with. How would you handle this? I seriously dread taking him at this point b/c it's just going to be me saying no to everything he picks up the whole time we're there.
My son found his love of reading around age 7.
At age 9 had read and reread Lord of the Flies.
He LOVED it! It has remained one of his all time favorites.
He went on to read other classics such as Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea