View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 01:27 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
What exactly would the point be in not letting her watch TV or use the computer?

Generally speaking, irritating the crap out of the Nanny won't get you anywhere. Your suggestions are demeaning and petty.
Personally I don't think it's demeaning or petty. She is in fact, not a nanny. But I also wouldn't just surprise her with these changes either. I would talk to her about it.

I think the point trying to be made is that there are a lot of liberties that come included with the price she is currently being paid for now. If she is asking for a higher wage and there isn't much "supervision" being done then the least she could do is either add on some responsibilities or not use up any more utilities/supplies than she has to. I know it's only 2 hours of tv/internet time and two meals (herself and her child) but I know that when I was a nanny I wasn't allowed any of these liberties even if the kids were sleeping.

Back to OP: I think that you need to keep in mind a few things first. Night nanny's start at about $12-$15 an hour. Keep in mind that they are trained in CPR and childcare, come with references, are experienced and have had a background check etc. They also typically have other household duties. If you can find another single mother that you can trust that will take the $55 a night then I say go for it and allow your current caretaker to find another job elsewhere. Ask your friends, co-workers, family etc. about whether they know anyone that could fit the bill. Maybe a close friend knows another single mom or college student that would like the job?

IMO $8 an hour seems reasonable if she were in fact a nanny with training and experience etc. and had all of those liberties that you listed and no duties (I'm assuming that you help prepare breakfast) but in my opinion I think that $8 an hour for someone that is not trained, experienced etc is a little steep.