View Single Post
LittleScholars 09:46 AM 10-14-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Logistically you're going to need bigger liability coverage. Yes you can get a parent to agree to allow their child to participate and warn them of the risks but that only saves you on some things that are more common. For example a fall from an age-appropriate playground structure. Playground structures are pretty common and if a child was to fall and break an arm and you were supervising but just couldn't prevent it in time then you'll be fine but a dirt pathway purposely frozen in the wintertime is not common at all and IMO just asking for a lawsuit. You'll definitely want to call your liability insurance carrier and ask if they'll cover the dirt pathway and of course an purposely frozen iced pathway. You should also call your homeowners insurance to ask about a "hypothetical" situation (don't give them your name, you don't want ti to strike against you) about having childcare in your home with a dirt pathway (don't use the word "track" because it really does sound cautious even if I know what you mean and it's not dangerous at all) and about the frozen thing. I've heard of homeowner's insurance agencies dropping child care providers for much less than that so just be careful.
I just wanted to add that in my area only TWO companies will cover home daycares at all. All other homeowner's insurance companies will not cover you with a daycare, and if you don't disclose it your insurance is voided. These companies also require you to have additional liability insurance (which is a great idea anyway). I've never made a claim and I live in a newer home in a safe area, and it is still pretty pricey. So, I have to tread very lightly when making choices about outdoor activities because if I lost coverage or if my premium increased, it could ruin my business. I won't even get a full wooden play structure at this time. It is worth thinking about how much flexibility you would have if something were to happen and rates were to be raised.