View Single Post
jen 12:00 PM 04-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I found a new daycare and was really excited about the way she ran her daycare. Natural/organic food, all homemade meals (no processed food, she even bakes her own bread) lots of creative ideas for kids, outdoor play. She was very what I call a "crunchy granola mom" type. She did inform me on the phone that she was a "well child" daycare and that she had a strict policy for ill children not coming to her house. I figured it was because she did not like giving her kids medicine and tried to only give her family herbs and stuff for being sick. I'm in the medical research field, so we did not see eye to eye on this subject, but I figured, to each their own.

When we went to interview her...first of all, she acted like SHE was interviewing ME. I feel that she has no right to interview me since I pay HER. Second, she busts out with, "By law, I have to tell you that my children are not immunized." I just stare at her for a minute and ask her why. She says, "We claim exemption based on our personal philosophical beliefs." The she just smiles and waits for me to reply. I am stunned...flabbergasted...I tell her that I CANNOT believe she would be so ignorant. She then proceeds to tell me, a PhD, how she has researched it for the better part of 12 years (her oldest daughter is 12, I think) and is firm in her decision and that maybe my family is not a good match for her daycare....all said with a smug smile. I could not believe the way we were treated by that ignorant hippie! I was wondering if anyone knew the daycare laws in Michigan, can I have her shut down? I will be looking into what I can do to protect the rest of our community from disease from that house!! Any information that I get from here will be appreciated and put toward that effort.

LOL!!! We ARE interviewing you! At any one time we have multiple families vying for a spot in our daycares...of course we want to pick the family who fits our personal values best! Oh my goodness...you will NOT get far with the "WE pay YOU" and "I'm a PhD" attitude! Yikes! Daycare is a collaboration! To enter into it with such a disrespectful attitude is outrageous! If you are looking for an employee, hire a nanny!

By the way...if you don't want your children around non-vac kid, you best hire a nanny and plan to home-school. I have a kid whose parents are doctors (the MD variety, not PhD) who don't vaccinate. Get over yourself.