View Single Post
Unregistered 05:50 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Someone should sue daycare providers and force regulation by child care services. Parents having to PAY for the providers VACATION!!!???
If it were true as some providers here state that I am 'renting space', then when the daycare is on vacation, I should be able to take my child there to play with the toys.
And No, Unregistered simply means, I have a busy job and don't want to waste my time arguing.
In my state, there are specific regulations each Family Daycare is required to follow for licensing purposes. I would imagine this carries over to most states. During my initial licensing class, each of us was informed that we were to be closed a certain number of days per year (14 to be exact). We were also informed these days could NOT be listed as personal vacation days. We were encouraged in the next sentence to schedule at least 5 vacation days for ourselves throughout the year as well. We were told that charging our families for these days is purely voluntary. I charge each of my families a $10 vacation charge to "hold their spot" in the daycare, as I am only allowed to accept 6 children into my program. I receive phone calls on a daily basis from the local assistance office requesting service and I cannot accept. If I have a family who is unhappy with the arrangement when I explain the contract to them - I immediately suggest they contact someone else. I will not change a policy that has been in standing for the last 15 years because a parent is unhappy with the fact that their child cannot come to daycare during my vacation every year. The families I work with are aware of my vacation week a YEAR in advance and they are advised to plan accordingly. They are also pleased with the fact that I don't charge a full fee for that week. Bottom line - don't assume all daycares are the same and if you aren't happy with your current daycare, find someone else.