View Single Post
JacksMom 08:05 PM 12-22-2015
My son is 2 and is a really good eater. He had a late breakfast this morning and was given lunch at his usual time-11-1130. He didn't eat much for lunch because he was probably not hungry yet from his late breakfast. My husband brought him to daycare at noon and explained they accidentally woke up late and had a late breakfast and Jack didn't eat much lunch and might need a snack.
When my mother picked up my son at 330, the caretaker practically yelled at her that Jack had behaved very badly today. She said that shortly after he arrived he started saying his tummy was hungry. She said mealtime was over so they didn't get him anything. They tried to put him down for a nap and he threw a fit and "was highly disturbing to the other children trying to nap." Finally at 230, the designated snack time, he was allowed to eat. My mother said the anger in her voice was disturbing and uncalled for.
I am torn. Part of me wants to tear into the manager tomorrow accusing her of neglect. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink- same for a two year old. They are hungry when they are hungry! I pay $12 an hour for my son to be cared for and that includes fulfilling the basic need for hunger when it arrises! It's not as if this is happening often- this is the first time I've heard of him being hungry at daycare. I am also incredibly angry that my mother was spoken to in such a manner. I get you're frustrated my son wouldn't nap- but I would think this is commonplace at daycares and with 2 year olds...? Was it really necessary to yell at my mother about my sons bad behavior due to hunger? Would it have been so difficult to give him a few crackers?
Please help me with how to address this- I am worried they will give me the run around about their FDA food program stuff and completely ignore that my child was left to starve because Dad messed up and gave him a late breakfast.
Thank you