View Single Post
Chilly 10:50 AM 11-18-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
20 3 year olds and 2 teachers? That's a very high ratio, IMHO. In my state it is 1:6. I have a child with aggressive tendencies. He never leaves my side. EVER. He hasn't hit anyone in weeks- because I won't give him the opportunity. It is MY job to keep the other children in care safe. If I can't do my job, I would either hire additional staff to handle this child, or let him go.

It sounds like your dd is not aggressive towards anyone but this child. If so, it is very much self defense behavior. The adults failed to keep her safe and she has now taken it upon herself.

Why hasn't this other child been let go yet? I assume he is not hitting JUST your child?

I would NEVER sign a blank form. Are there cameras in the center? I would want to VIEW each incident.

Ask the director at your meeting what steps they are taking to stop this child from being aggressive. How can THEY ensure YOU that YOUR child is safe?

These two should NEVER be alone/left to play together. The other child should be shadowed AT ALL TIMES. If the center isn't willing to make sure that happens, they have no business keeping him in care. He is a danger to the other children.
She is not the only child that is being hit. I've seen him hit other kids. She is the only child who is biting back (or so I'm told). One of the other parents approached me saying that her daughter had a huge gash on her hand from the same boy. She said she spoke to the director about it also. My guess is that the center has not removed the child because all of his siblings have went or go there and they are a huge money maker. The center has a "Non agression policy" that states that repeated agression and without positive progress after working with the child will result in the removal of the child. They also have a 3 bites your out policy. So basically they could ask us to leave because my daughter has bit this child 4 documented times. I understand that we may have to leave the daycare either way.

I do not sign the blank forms. I'm just asked to sign them. I tell them I won't sign them unless they can tell me about the incident.

There are security cameras in front of the playground that I am aware of. I'm not aware of any cameras inside. I don't know if they would allow me to watch any footage of the playground (assuming they have cameras on the playground), but I will certainly ask.

I agree to 10:1 ratio is rediculous. It is our state's MINIMUM requirement. I've said it before and I will reitterate it again tomorrow that they need more hands in that classroom.