View Single Post
Crystal 10:18 AM 03-23-2011
He then told me that he went to school for about 9-10 hours per day and then came home to his parents who ate dinner with them, homework and then off to bed. He does not recall a ton of face time with them, but he was given most of support and guidance from his grandma and grandpa.

I just don’t understand why a family would choose to work long hours so that they can have their house paid for, their cars pair for and etc, yet let a perfect stranger raise their child. I get that everyone has different goals in life and the path that one chooses in life is not wrong because it is not the norm, or is not what I would choose.

1st part:
So he's saddened by Child Care in America....but THIS is absolutely no different than what we have here....except that it was "school" and then a very limited amount of time with parents. Not sure how that is any different?

2nd part: WHY do you assume that all parents who work long hours do it for a house/car/luxury of some sort? What about the single Mom who works two jobs to pay RENT and rides the bus, which adds to commute time? Not every, or even most, parents who work long hours do it for extravagances, they do it to meet basic needs.