View Single Post
nannyde 11:52 AM 12-20-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think, again, we have this situation where providers don't have the same beliefs, priorities, and goals for the children that the families have. It's very well documented and well known that different cultures have different expectations for their children and treat the children in ways that will accomplish those goals in the present as well as into the child's future.
Now, what happens here is some providers believing very strongly that their own expectations, priorities and goals for the children in their care is the best and only right way- what any family does that is different than that is considered poor parenting, lazy, and avoidance of duties.
I am not from a national culture that emphasizes community above Independence (such as China), however I do like to do things for my child, on occasion, that he could do for himself. Why? Because at that moment, I'm not looking to foster Independence or instill self reliance, but I am showing him that I care about others (as I'd like him to) and I do little things for people even if they could have done it themselves (as I'd like him to), that I'm not in such a hurry that I can't graciously comply with a simple request (teaching his own patience and tolerance for others). I could go on and on about what little actions we take teach our children but I'm sure we all understand that we are basically teaching them the values that are important to us. And the values that are important to one adult are not important (or are even counter to what is important) to another.
So, the best way, IMHO, to work with families of a different mind set on Independence is to accept the way they want to raise their child without any hint of disrespect and at the same time continue to follow your own philosophies and childcare beliefs (with full disclosure to parents). You don't have to go against what you believe is best for children but you should never imply that what other families believe is best is wrong. It isn't. This conversation comes up often. It's not coming up often because soooo many families must be crazy and don't know how to care for their children. It comes up often because many providers don't have an understanding of cultural differences and don't accept cultural differences.

I searched a little and found this really good article on it that i hope someone here reads because it really explains a lot.
http://www.dimensionsofculture.com/2...ing-practices/

Naw

Do you do child care? Do you have people carrying children who can fully walk in and out of your house on your property? Are you taking that risk on your property?

The simple math of it is the SAFEST way to walk a child on someone's private home property is to hand walk them in. If a mom is carrying a heavy child in who can walk, flail, kick, go spaghetti, etc. She has a much much higher risk of falling with a high potential of hurting herself and the kid.

If the steady walking child holds hands with the parent the parent can balance the child's weight if the child starts to totter. If the mom slips she let's go of the hand and only she falls.

All it takes is ONE injury claim on your property and you either face high insurance costs forever or worst yet .. become uninsurable.

Your culture idea doesn't matter to my insurance company. They want me to learn my craft by observation and experience and make policies that lessen as much as humanly possible the possibility of a fall.

Hand holding the steady walker accomplishes decreased chance of falling and keeps the child under the adults control from car door to front door.

We aren't target or walmart who can sustain a lawsuit and pay premiums to cover the statistical likelihood of x number of injuries per year. We don't have the buying power to retain insurance after a fall.

This
Is
A
BUSINESS

Safety first is first for the business. Culture or parenting preferences have NOTHING to do with it.

Just because you have a kid it doesn't give you license to make every decision about that kid once you step out your front door. Once you are on the providers property you should do what works for her business.