Thread: Venting Thread
View Single Post
Snowmom 03:18 PM 05-21-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Logged out for privacy.

Why is it, that adults who work at a preschool building outside of the home are called teachers, but an adult who does in-home preschool is not considered a teacher?

I get so offended that I do the same, if not more, than the preschool that is offered here, but I don't get credit for it! When dcks go to preschool for 2 hours, it's "school", but when they come here, it's "Miss ******* house". I offer an amazing curriculum and put my own money back into my business all the time. It sucks to not get the recognition and just be known as a sitter. Just a pet peeve of mine and made me feel a little down today :/
I hear ya. That's frustrating and definitely under appreciated.

Personally, I do WAY more than most preschools do in terms of school prep (social, emotional and academically). But I honestly am glad I don't have the label of teacher. It less pressuring when I want to have just a play day or switch things up.
I started out doing pretty minimal curriculum in the beginning. But in the past decade or so, there's a serious pressure to include more and more academics from both state and clientele. It's maddening really.