View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
yeah, just keep doing your thing. I dont even bother talking or singing when I am out of the room. I just do what I need to do and eventually, they get used to the coming and going. Seems like every kid goes thru this stage so the more attention you give her for the "bad" behavior, the more it will escalate. I ignore, just like a tantrum.
I think you are right about the kids getting used to it but I disagree that talking to them escalates the behavior. I think it is important to talk to then while you are out of sight so they can learn that being out of eye sight doesn't mean you magically disappeared and aren't coming back.

I don't think this kind of behavior is anything like a tantrum or other bad behavior, it is a stage they are going through that requires the adult to be reassuring and comforting to the child so they can learn you are still there.

If you ignore them or treat it like negative behaviors such as a tantrum you risk the posibilty of alienating them and escalating their insecurities and ability to attach or bond with the caregiver.

Children need that secure attachment and when they cry when you leave that is all a stage of developing that secure-ness. Ignoring them will make them even more unsure and scared. They need to know you are still there.

Talking to them while out of sight helps them learn it is ok for you to "disappear" as you are still coming back and are still there for them.