Thread: Christmas Gifts
View Single Post
Josiegirl 04:12 AM 12-12-2020
Gift cards for 6 families can add up quickly. Do they have good pizza places locally or specialty sandwich shops?
My take on this idea(and it's JMO):
DCPs used to sometimes give me restaurant gift cards and I'm not much of a go-out-for-dinner type of person so sometimes they went unused for long periods of time(Shamefully admitting some I still haven't used). UNLESS it was a pizza place because they're usually so easy to order and take out. That is a big consideration now too. So I guess this part of my opinion is 'know your recipients'.
Next part is 'know your budget'. Even at 20 bucks a pop, it's a lot of $$$.
Not knowing the options in your area or your dcps, it's hard to offer advice that'd work for all. Some people love breweries/pubs, some people drink/some don't, some love a night on the town, some don't.

What I used to do was put together a tray of cookies and breads. I figured if they didn't eat them, then they could certainly share them.
Occasionally, I'd do a dcf holiday party on a Friday when I closed. I'd make lots of healthy snack trays, treat trays and punch, cider. Lotta work.

I always bought gifts for the dcks, and had the kids make their parents something.
This year, in particular makes it super challenging. You could always do gift cards to grocery stores, book store, local places for support, donation to a local food bank/animal shelter/etc. in the dcfs names.
You could always offer a parents' night out for future use. Or a day of free care to be used when they'd like. Movie passes.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure they'll appreciate it! Including a handwritten note citing the reasons why you love having their child or specific ways you've watched them grow in your care, is always a wonderful touch.

Oh and please don't let guilt of buying, then not buying make a difference. I've done the same to myself. Individual Circumstances change a lot; what we can do one year doesn't always establish an annual precedent. Receiving gifts from dcps used to cause my guilt if/when I didn't reciprocate, but then I started thinking about hairdressers, trash collectors, and all the other people we tend to tip at Christmas and realize it's not always a 2 way street.

So this is simply my take on it. And I probably should shut off the coffeemaker now cause I obviously have reached my limit.

Good luck in your choice! Go with what YOU feel.