View Single Post
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Parents either come downstairs to get their child or stay in the entryway and I bring their child up to them. Both ways, the 4 yo has access to them by either being in the same space as them or standing at the gate and yelling up to them. I have had many conversations with him both while parents are here and after they have left. Talking to him about how the parents are not coming to be entertained by him or to talk to him. His job is to play and my job is to talk to the parents. Day after day though, he continues to interact with them.
The only way to not let him have access to them is to have him sit in the hallway, so he cannot see them. I have done this and this is the only thing that works. Many times we end our day outside, so that creates a problem because there is not a space to have him be where he has no access to the parents.
Curious what those of you who suggested to not allow access to the parents do with children in your care who may do this? Other than putting him in a hallway out of sight of them, I Can't think of any other ways where he wouldn't be around them. Also, considering I need to be able to supervise all children, having him somewhere where nobody can see him is not an option.
We are often outside too but the kids just do their thing and pay no attention to parents. The parents don’t talk to the other children either.

What do his parents say about this situation?
Does he mind his parents?

Maybe you could ask the other parents to not listen, talk to or be an audience for child...

At 4 this child knows full well how to listen to your rules.
If necessary I’d have him stand next to me without speaking during pick up time and if he attempts to speak sush him and tell him to stop. Now.

If he still won’t listen I wouldn’t keep him.
He’s 4. I expect 4 yr olds to behave like 4 yr olds not 2 yr olds.

He is a liability to you at this age.