View Single Post
Cradle2crayons 11:22 PM 07-22-2013
Originally Posted by LittleAggies:
Well, in regards to the crying, the parents say he is doing the same things at home. He even cries some of the times his own mom talks to him. They know he has the eating issues but, I don't think they're concerned. I kept hoping his pediatrition or a grandma would notice and mention it to them (so I wouldn't have to). I understand he will get a more thorough evaluation at his 18 month well baby check up. I will probably suggest some things for the parents to ask his dr about. As far as language goes...he has small vocab, but does repeat words. He knows people and pets names, ball, puppy, cracker, milk, etc. I'm going to try the 'comfort spot' instead of time out. I've tried several things and time out was my last resort. Thank you so much for your input!
The crying spot works well and for his developmental milestones and his age, you may have to model the crying spot so he understands.

For instance::: you notice him getting frustrated and yu verbally acknowledge him, tell him you are upset with him and both go sit in the crying spot. When you notice he's calm then you be calm too. You tell him you feel better now and you get up and talk to him about it.

I had to do this once with a child for them to understand after being in trouble so much at home that the crying spot was just a calm down spot and not punishment.

He'll get it!! Make the space very comfy with pillows, books, maybe a few stuffed animals or things you have that are comfortable there.