View Single Post
Starburst 09:04 AM 07-10-2013
I am not sure if this would help but this is what my state uses and I think it's pretty easy to follow (had to do the preschooler one for 2 classes). It's free (but 50+ pages), but you can also print out a key chain version which helps to save paper and easier to carry around.

http://www.desiredresults.us/form_drdp.htm

ETA:
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have never done them. I was told that here in my State that we are not allowed to do them unless we have been educated and taught how......

I do them for my own records, but do not share the information with the parents...

Did you have to take a class to learn to do the assessments?>
oh wow.....I would love to do a sit down conference, I always wonder........would the parents eyes be more open? Would they really listen to what I had to say and try to get on the same page?????

But until I can do this, I won't know.....lol

I am not sure if it even allowed without the proper training.....someone please correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps I may have been misinformed?????
I never heard of that, but I did take 2 classes where we had to use the assessment sheets (observing young children and creating curriculum) and its not really that hard to use (its basically just milestone/stages and their mastery level).

And part of the observation class included having a conference with the parents. I never though about doing a sit down confence before that class but now I plan on doing one for all the children I will watch that are noy school-age (they have one for infants and toddlers too). I would probably only do scheduled conferences maybe 2 or 3 times a year for preschoolers (beggining and end of school year and maybe 1 conference 1/2 way through to chart progress) and maybe once or twice a year for infants (unless the child is special needs). The teacher for the observation class said that a conference should be about 1/2 hour long, no more than 45 minutes (she used to be the director of a center). She also said its good to keep a clock in your view behind the parent so you can keep an eye on it but not look impatient by looking at your watch or cell phone for the time.