View Single Post
childcaremom 02:22 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I treat a child who gets sick with me the same as if they got sick before they came. They go home and cannot return until symptoms are gone. They must be picked up within an hour.

As for my sick policy, I sent this home last fall and a few days later ta dad drops off and says "she has diarrhea so I packed some bun cream" I told him she was not allowed into care and had to go home. I reiterated that I had JUST sent home a sick policy reminder. It has not happened since!

Enforcing rules is the only way that some parents will get it. I also have parents who love my sick policy until it effects them!
I had a parent at an interview tell me how much they love my policy. It is very strict, I said. Good, they said.

Week 2 they dropped off with a mention that they had given dcg some motrin. Sent them home (with a strict warning) and mom was . Sent home yesterday (week 7) for not feeling well and dcm asked if she could come back the next day. I just sent home my reminder, too. See ya Monday!

Jenboo, are you wondering how to explain it to parents? The 'why'? I tell them that it isn't meant to be punitive at all. That it puts the onus on parents to make sure that they are sending well children and helps to keep the whole group healthy. That I have a great group of parents who keep their children home when they are unwell. I always reassure that I don't just send home (in fact, I hardly ever need to send home anymore) but that it has worked wonders at stopping the back and forth. As I said, I always use that one winter as an example and that once I implemented the policy, it all stopped. I also make sure to explain that kids will get sick so a back up plan is important. All of my parents have family local, though, and/or back up care plans so that there is not the temptation to send in child with a cross-of-the-fingers that they are ok. The ones who think that's it's 'not fair' are the ones who either don't have a reliable back up plan or plan to send their kids when they aren't feeling well.