View Single Post
MomBoss 07:34 AM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would have had a hard time not letting my eyes roll all the way to the back of my head. Macaroni artwork, colored noodle necklaces, play dough, bean bags filled with rice, ect...these are all fun activities that dont cost a lot to make and are fun and developmentally appropriate for kids. I know there are hungry kids, but America using food insecurity as an argument for not allowing certain play is pretty laughable. She could have said choking issues or sanitation issues, but the "starving kids in africa" mentality is so old and out of touch. We seem to live in a society where two things can't exist at the same time. Children can't play with food or make artwork out of it because of other kids who are starving. Versus letting kids play with food and make artwork, and also doing things like sponsoring a food drive, speaking about nutrition and good health, donating to the food pantry, ect. Instead, we limit one child's opportunities because of the restrictions on another child's opportunities. It's kind of like telling a child not to run, because some children are disabled and unable to walk. The ability to teach children compassion and empathy for other people's unfortunate situations is not limited by the use of food for play. Children are not starving in this world because little Johnny used macaroni on his picture. I probably would have left when she degraded my ideas to keep kids learning and creative and having fun.
I completely agree with you.