View Single Post
My3cents 11:52 AM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
People are so hyper focused on one sticking point.

It's NOT about using food IN things.
It's NOT about actual food.
It's NOT about food waste/starving kids

It's about cultural respect and teaching children how other cultures value things we don't or perceive things differently than others.

Clearly as a society we don't view food the same way as others do. It's deeper than the actual bin of rice or beans.

It's not a black and white topic where you either use food or you don't. It's a much bigger broader subject with meaningful thoughts, ideals and concepts regarding how we use foods in the early childhood environment.

It's about attitudes and ideals we convey to children in the process of teaching and supporting diversity and cultural awareness.
It is about the food.

The teachings and respect go both ways. My attitude and ideal does not have to line up with everyone else. I feel the benefits of using some foods for play far out weight the negatives.

Best Practice- I don't want to be best. I want to be good and real and I want to find my own balance of what works for me. Not be cookie cuttered into something I am not.

I am creative. I love art. Art comes in many forms- it should never be made into one persons ideal way of thinking.

If someone didn't play with food you would not see all those fancy high class meals presented on the food/cooking channels and restaurants.

The starving child in my daycare is a much bigger problem then the child playing with colored rice. I also find that the children in my care are way too young to understand the cultural differences at this level. I find this to be an adult debate. The much broader topic at hand is way above our children's age appropriate capability.

I am not an unfeeling person or lack understanding of the poor, starving or different cultures because I let my children in my care play with rice, beans,water or noodles or play dough or paint.

I can teach how other cultures value things but it doesn't mean that I have to take on those same values.

I agree there is no black and white here and it should not be pushed on me one way or the other in my business of how I run my daycare.

Thanks BlackCat for the good read. I am still Pro food use in play/art. Usually most of the time, you and I line up in our daycare beliefs but on this one we will have to agree to disagree and that is ok! 3Cents