View Single Post
Daycare_Mama 06:17 AM 12-29-2010
Hi everyone! I want to change the way I take vacation days around a little for 2011 and I'd like some input.

Currently, I get 10 paid vacation days, 6 paid holidays, and 3 paid sick days (for myself or my daughter).

That's 19 paid days per year and at this point, I don't want to add or drop any, but I'm going to get rid of the 3 sick days and just turn them into vacation or holidays off. It's been a bit confusing with whether or not I'm using a sick day, so I'd rather just have strictly paid vacation/holidays and just take an unpaid day off if I need to close daycare for illness.

Anyways, in 2010, I took scattered vacation days and one full week off around the 4th of July. What I'd like to do is still take one full week off around the 4th, but also take a week off between Christmas and New Years.

What I'm wondering is if anyone else does this week off between Christmas and New Years and do you have it paid or unpaid? I'd like to keep my unpaid days off strictly to when I need to "call in" sick, but I feel like having to find back-up care and still pay me could be a burden for some families around Christmas. Currently, I just have one family, but I will be licensed by this time next year and will hopefully have more families!

I suppose I could take a bit out of each paycheck in 2010 to put aside in an envelope so that taking a week unpaid at xmas time won't effect me too much, but I'm not the greatest saver in this way.

I need and deserve the week I take off in the summer and I am finding myself wishing I had a week off after Christmas too to give myself a break, enjoy the new toys with my kids, and just refresh before starting again in the new year. I just need to figure out the best way to have this off and would like to know how others do it?

Also, for those of you who take paid holidays, do you count Christmas Eve and/or New Years Eve as a holiday even though it's not a government holiday?

Thanks!!!