View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 10:57 AM 05-01-2012
Here's what I would have said:

"Hi Sally, I was thinking about our discussion about how your vacation doesn't coincide along with everyone else's here at daycare. As you are already well aware, I schedule the daycare's closing dates based on my husbands approved vacation. Once he is given his approved vacation time I then notify the other daycare families. They in turn choose to either request to take the same vacation time off or find alternate childcare for the time that the daycare is closed. This is the way that it has always worked. Here is a list of other daycare providers in this area that you can call that may be able to provide temporary back-up childcare."

Because this situation happens occasionally I call other daycare homes that are close to me and introduce myself and ask them whether or not they would be willing to offer temporary back-up childcare if they have the space, for the days that I am closed. Usually most are willing (who wants to say no to more money if you room right) so I already have a list ready to hand out when it's time for my vacations.

If you require that your vacation time be paid be prepared for the "But I can't afford to pay you and another daycare" talk. This is a completely different conversation.