View Single Post
Heidi 04:52 AM 07-16-2012
I'm sure people skirt around it by paying cash, but paying a nanny less than minumum wage to work in your home is against labor laws. Not saying it doesn't happen, we all know it does, but it's not really ok. If it's a teenager just making a little summer money, that's one thing, although technically even then it should be done "correctly". It may be that if it totals a certain amount in a year, know one would care. Tom would know for sure.

When a person is hired to work in your home under your supervision, you are required to be an employer. Which means, you pay at least minimum wage, you have an EIN, you set the schedule, you give the job description, you are responsible for medicare, ss, unemployment, and federal/state tax withholding. .

Some people get around that by calling the person and independent contractor, but there are guidelines for that too. If someone, for instance, is comming to mow your lawn every week, and mows countless other lawns, the independent contractor thing can apply. We are independent contractors too, I believe, because WE decide on the job description, rates charged, etc.

I agree with OP that the tone was rather condescending. You just never know what this person's story is, though. I guess she can try. Maybe she'll get the perfect Nanny for $100/week. I'm kind of doubting it, though.