View Single Post
Max 08:36 AM 12-18-2016
Originally Posted by Concerned Momma:
Recently we had some issues with her father not being able to keep up with the kids and being overwhelmed despite what my provider insists is well within the state's child to adult ratios.
I will say, just because she's within legal ratios, doesn't necessarily mean the father can keep up with the children. Everyone's personal limits are different Sounds like maybe she wasn't understanding your true concern or you weren't clear enough? Or it was her way to end the conversation without further discussion.

I have never met my daycare provider's brother and he isn't listed on their licensing as a caregiver.
Never having met the brother would bug me. Did she ever mention the brother may be providing care? As BC said, you should ask her if the brother is allowed to provide care.

When we interviewed at a daycare, we never officially met the provider's husband until the first time he filled in, but she gave us a heads up (told us in interview he can legally fill in for her) so it wasn't a big deal to us.

when I talked to my daycare provider the following day she insisted it was only for 60 seconds.
Seems odd she would downplay it if the brother was legally allowed to provide care... Checking the mail easily could have waited.

Is it unreasonable to ask her to get more help if she's going to continue to care for other people's children? Is it time to find another childcare provider?
Maybe. It depends on how much you like the other aspects of her care or how much this bothers you. I'd consider talking to her about it. If the brother is allowed to care for the children, then it sounds like nothing illegal was done and it's you and the provider's personal opinions at odds here. Wait until your not emotional or worked up about it. Try to be as friendly, but clear, as possible. A good approach is to ask open ended questions and say why you're worried, without necessarily 'telling' her straight out that she should get more help.

FWIW, I've left a DC before for similar reasons, but I didn't feel it was appropriate to bring it up. There were other aspects of the program we weren't crazy about so instead of asking for all these changes, we moved on. Good luck