View Single Post
mamamanda 05:52 AM 07-24-2014
I mentioned in a previous post my dcf that has introduced the "sleep fairy" to their children to encourage them to stay in bed at night. I laughed and rolled my eyes, but figured what they do at home is their business so I let it go. However, dcg 3, will not let it drop. She asks me or my child every day why sleep fairy doesn't bring him chocolate in the mornings. She has never struggled with nap time here until "sleep fairy" came on the scene. Now she throws a fit every day b/c she's upset that the sleep fairy won't be visiting her here. I thought to myself, how would the daycare ladies handle this? Then I decided to be assertive and stand my ground. Yesterday when dcg started in hollering during naptime (after other children were asleep, mind you) because she needs someone to sit beside her bed and help her to sleep now apparently, I said, "You've never had an issue sleeping here before, the sleep fairy will not be visiting my home, and we will not be throwing a fit about it. Close your eyes and go to sleep." I spoke in a kind voice, but very firm. Lo and behold, she said ok, rolled over, and was asleep in 5-10 minutes.
Fast forward to bedtime with my child. He throws an all out fit saying he will not be going to bed like a big boy and he wants chocolate in the morning. All because dcg constantly tells him the sleep fairy will bring it to him if he has trouble sleeping. Mommy didn't play that game. We will not be eating a piece of chocolate for breakfast. We will also not be throwing a fit about it or we will lose all after dinner desserts for the foreseeable future as well.
I just wish that parents would realize that all of these treats and bribes to get children to cooperate only back fire. They create more issues than they solve. What ever happened to good old fashioned, "It's bedtime. Stay in bed and go to sleep?" I understand being sympathetic when a child is legitimately scared at bedtime. My son struggles with that, but it doesn't warrant bribery. If you can lay still in your bed for a piece of candy you weren't that scared to start with. *** just venting. I'd love to tie up the sleep fairy and send her into early retirement. haha