View Single Post
Meeko 09:10 AM 03-25-2013
In Utah, we must have 20 hours per licensing year. Ten must be face to face, classroom hours and 10 can be reading approved books, watching a video etc. or CCRR has a "fill in the blanks" workbook that counts as five hours.

Most of our face to face classes are complete crap here, taught by people who have never worked a day in childcare in their lives. And you have to PAY for the honor of being bored to death.

So we get our 10 hours in with the licensing dept's rules training lady. The subject matter never changes much, but the teacher is a sweetheart and keeps us awake with her great personality. And it's free!

I got so sick of classes that teach me how to diaper a baby and to tell me it's important to talk to the kids...no duh....

Either that, or I have to enroll in "real" school and as I am looking to retire in the next 10 years, I have no intention of spending that much money or that much time away from my family. My girls will be grown up and gone in a few years. I want to spend as much time with them as possible. My 18 year old will be leaving when she turns 19 to serve a mission for our church and then on to school when she gets back. She will be gone 18 months. I am savoring every second with her!

So I do as little classroom work as humanly possible!