View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by RYM Workshops:
Blackcat31 I appreciate your feedback. =) It is my belief that it takes a village to raise a child. If we spend all day with a child- whether that child is our biological child or not- we are in essence helping to raise that child. I don't see anything wrong with helping a child build her reading skills by encouraging her to practice reading daily- especially if it can be easily fit into the schedule. At the end of the day- it really helps the child (regardless of what one might think of the parent.) Blessings!
Oh no I absolutely agree! However, like I said, it is the principle of it.

Had the mother came to the provider and said "Ya know Janice, I am so busy that I just can't always find the time to help Janey with her reading so I was wondering if you could maybe help me out and have her read outloud to the other kids or to you for 30 minutes a day a couple times a week I will do it at home too but I was just wondering if that would be something you were willing to do?"

In that case, I would have absolutely agreed to help this little gal and accommodate her mothers request but when a parent tries to sneak things past me or slough off their duties with the attitude that it is MY job and NOT theirs then I am not so inclined to help them out. KWIM?

So again, you are right....there is nothing wrong with helping raise a child.....but when I am asked to, not expected to. I do belong to the villiage but I am not their idiot.